I read a useful piece in 'B-to-B', a US-based magazine aimed at b-to-b marketers. The headline: 'Realising the promise of online display ads' grabbed my attention as, working for a large business publisher, display advertising is something close to my heart.
John Obrecht, the author of the article points to a recent study by Forrester Research to argue that whilst most consumer brands have coherent and coordinated campaigns across display media, b-to-b marketers haven't caught-up yet. More to the point, the Forrester report points out several shortcomings with the b-to-b marketer's current approach.
The five opportunities recommended include:
1. Focusing on product promotion and thought leadership, rather than generic branding.
2. Driving prospects towards white papers, webinars and other content offers to nurture leads.
3. Not rely solely on short-term metrics, such as clicks and impressions to judge a campaign's effectiveness.
4. Using specialist b-to-b media & ad networks to better pinpoint target audiences.
5. Targeting prospects at the top of the funnel.
Dowload full article from 'B-to-B Marketing'more about how you can use online display as part of your marketing communication mix